Android is the OS mammoth in 2021. There are over 2 billion Android users worldwide according to Venture Beat.
- According to Statista, there are 3.04 Million apps on the Google Play Store.
- IDC has estimate Android’s market share to be 85% as of 2021.
With this enormous popularity, any headway coming within the frame of Android app development cannot be ignored. It is sure to cause colossal consequences and drive a mass change. Here, we look at 5 prominent trends to look out for in 2021 in the ever evolving mobile app development industry.
1. INSTANT APPS
Instant apps are still in its infancy. It allows users to try out an app or a game without actually downloading and installing it on their phones. According to AppBrain,
- There are over 409 Instant Apps currently in circulation.
- The Shopping app market enjoys the grates share of 0.92% followed by Real Estate (0.20%), then News (0.14%).
eCommerce and Games stand a bigger chance to benefit from this. For businesses, this is a big plus as it allows to promote the business on any channel, there is a higher conversion rate since the KPI does not include downloading, and the ability to use the phone’s computing resources without eating into the memory.
2. MACHINE LEARNING AND ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
AI and ML in the Android app development market has widespread applications. This includes message automation, improving recommendations, and enhancing the segmentation of items on eCommerce sites among many others.
- According to Markets and Markets, the mobile AI market will be worth $17.83 Billion by 2023.
- According to Mordor Intelligence, this market will experience a CAGR of 28% over the period of 2021 – 2026.
Speech recognition, chat bots, NLP, biometrics, image and text recognition, and emotion recognition will be the application of the tech. Intel, Microsoft, Apple, Alphabet, and Samsung will be the key players in this adoption and transformation.
3. BEACON TECH
Beacons are gadgets that can connect with a smartphone or other gadgets when within its range. This is a huge opportunity to market in the “micro moments”. Shops and restaurants along with hotels have been experimenting with this tech for quite some time now.
- According to GMInsights, beacon tech is expected to reach $25 Billion valuation in 2024 from $170 Million in 2017.
- The CAGR from 2017 to 2024 will be 80%.
The major growth drivers will be:
- Adoption of IoT.
- Location based marketing solution demand.
- Emphasis on developing smart cities.
Retail is predicted to have the greatest application of the beacon tech when it comes to timely marketing. Following retail will be travel and tourism and the hospitality industry.
The adoption of 5G and the rapid growth of the 5G market ($47,775 Million by 2027 according to Marketsandmarkets) is expected to fuel the Internet of Things market as well. The applications will be widespread:
- Smart fitness
- Smart home sensors.
- Smart home gadgets connected to microwaves or refrigerators.
- Production flow and preventive measures under industrial IoT.
According to Gartner, 20 Billion devices were connected to IoT as of 2020. By 2025, the IoT in mobile app market is estimated to reach $6.2 Trillion annually (McKinsey).
5. AUGMENTED REALITY
With the value of AR gaming expected to reach $284.93 Billion in 2023 (according to Infoholic Research), the mobile app industry is also expected to benefit magnanimously from it. Due to the pandemic, the growth rate of mobile AR had dropped by 34% in 2020 (MarketsandMarkets). However, by 2025, it is estimated to reach $29.5 Billion.
This is a huge opportunity for businesses and brands. It can increase user engagement and perceived brand value. Having covered the 5 major trends that will dictate 2021 in terms of app development, let us conclude.
These 5 trends will define android app development in 2021. However, the potential has just had it surface scratched. An immense change is predicted to occur in the coming years. With the onset of technologies like AR, VR, AI, and ML the entire aesthetic and functioning of applications will be rethought of and redefined.
Another trend of the near future will be apps designed for foldable smart phones. According to DSCC, 2.2 Million units have been sold already.
These changes to smart phones and the way we consume technology not only opens way to newer mobile app innovations, it also leads to better opportunities for businesses and brands to reach consumers in a meaningful way. From marketing to sales and from user behavior to app interfaces, we at Orion are the epicenter of this disruption.