What is Dot Net?
- .Net is a software development framework offered by Microsoft. It was meant to develop software for a windows platform but now it can be used to develop cross-platform applications.
- It is one of the most widely used and popular frameworks used mostly for web development. It is also viewed as the main competitor to Java development framework and to PHP.
- It provides modern language constructs like generics, Language Integrated Query (LINQ) and asynchronous programming which helps to develop high-quality applications faster.
- Apart from all these features, it is one of the secure platforms to develop modern applications. Even critical issues like bad pointer manipulation or malicious attempts to alter compiled code can be prevented easily.
Which are the earlier and the latest versions of .Net?
In 2002, the first version of the .Net framework was released, and it was called .NET Framework 1.0. Since then it has come a long way and the current stable version is .NET Framework 4.7.2.
The initial version of .Net Core i.e, .NET Core 1.0 was released in June 2016. Later .NET Core 1.0.4 and .NET Core 1.1.1 were released along with .NET Core Tools 1.0 and Visual Studio 2017 in March 2017.
The current stable version for .NET Core is 2.2.
The current version of .NET Framework features many cryptographic improvements, better support for ZIP archives for decompression, and additional APIs for collection.
- The latest version of .Net provides support for dependency injection (DI) thereby reducing the work involved in creating separate dependencies for each object.
- SameSite Cookie – It prevents browsers from sending cookies along with cross-site requests. SameSite Cookie has been added in HttpCookie type in .NET Framework 4.7.2.
- Provides SQLClient Support for Azure Active Directory Universal Authentication and Multi-Factor Authentication.
Can I use .Net while developing Angular.js applications?
Yes, you can use .Net Framework while developing Angular.js applications. To start a Angular project with .Net you need to consider few things.
Angular is used with TypeScript, Webpack, npm and NodeJS. So, you need to setup these prerequisites in your .Net project and then you need to install Visual Studio and create an ASP.Net project and install the dependencies.
What should I choose to develop my application: .Net Core or .Net Framework?
.Net Core is a cross-platform version of .Net for developing your applications whether it is a website, services or console apps. Whereas .Net Framework is used for developing applications for windows platform only. You can build any type of app that runs on windows using .Net Framework. So you need to consider whether you are building a cross-platform app or a windows only app while choosing .Net Core or .Net Framework.
What kind of applications can be developed using .NET framework?
There are wide range of applications that can be developed using .Net. Applications such as a responsive and interactive website, mobile apps, web apps, desktop applications, IoT applications and so on.
.Net can be used to develop web applications which can range from simple HTML website to enterprise applications that can run on local as well as remote networks.
Here are some robust web applications which we have developed for our clients:
1. Renteasy – It is a platform where people in Hong Kong can buy and rent properties easily.
2. Ancestory – It is a platform where people try to discover their ancestors.
With .Net you can build rich native apps using C# across iOS, Android and Windows while maximizing code reuse.
Windows Desktop Applications
.Net enables you to develop windows form-based applications which are data-centric and modern line of business (LoB) applications for common day to day tasks like Microsoft word. These applications consume the services provided by Windows OS.
They help in interacting with objects over the internet. With .Net you can create web services based on industry standards like XML, SOAP and WSDL.
The .Net framework enables you to rapidly develop console applications by providing library classes with output display capability in different formats.
With .Net you can develop 2D and 3D games for desktops, mobiles and consoles.
Internet of Things
With .Net you can create IoT apps with native support for the Raspberry Pi and other single-board computers.
Which platforms have support for .NET Framework?
Initially when .Net was launched only windows platform used to support .Net. But today linux and apple environment also supports .Net core framework, a framework which consists of runtime, library, and compiler components.
Whether you are working in C# or Visual Basic, your code will run natively on any compatible OS. There are different .Net implementations that can be used for websites, servers, console apps, mobile apps, services etc.
.NET Core is a cross-platform .NET implementation for websites, servers, and console apps on Windows, Linux, and macOS.
.NET Framework supports websites, services, desktop apps, and more on Windows.
Xamarin/Mono is a .NET implementation for running apps on all the major mobile operating systems.
What all languages are supported by .net framework?
.Net supports following Microsoft supported languages such as C#, VB.net and F#. Most widely used language is C#.
C# is a simple, modern, object-oriented and type-safe language for programming.
F# is an open source, cross – platform, functional programming language for. NET. It also includes object-oriented programming and imperative programming.
Visual Basic is an accessible language for building type-safe, object-oriented applications with a simple syntax.
Apart from Microsoft supported languages .Net also supports third party programming languages such as Java, Python, PHP for development.
Which industries are widely using .NET?
Today majority of the industries are using .Net for their infrastructure development. Be it automotive to Banking and Finance, or infrastructure utility companies, you will find .Net being used in almost every industry.
However, looking at top industries that use .Net we find that Software and Information Technology companies lead the way when it comes to using .Net for development purposes.
These are followed by Health Care, Financial Services, Marketing and Advertising, Internet, Education and so on. The reason behind Software and IT companies being the top most users of .Net can be presumed to be the affinity for other Microsoft technologies and the security benefits that it provides.
What are some popular applications developed using .NET?
There are millions of applications developed or being developed using .net. However, some applications worth mentioning are Solidworks, NX (Siemens PLM), Autocad and several other CAD applications which use .net for some of the components using WPF. Other major applications such as office 365, exchange server, IIS also use .net framework. Other than these applications many popular websites have been developed using .Net.
Godaddy is the most popular hosting service provider uses .Net for MVC.
While many of us know that StackOverflow is a question & answer website for developers. But very few of us know that the entire site is built on ASP.NET MVC.
Dell being one of the top PC makers & distributors uses .Net for its website.
Being the creator of .Net uses it for MVC in its website.
Mindtree is one of the leading IT consultancy firms in the world which uses .Net for developing and maintaining its website.
Do all IT software service companies in India provide support for .Net framework development?
Majority of the software service providers in India provide support for .Net framework-based development. Industries have been divided into Tier-1, Tier-2, Tier-3 model where these tiers have been created on the basis of the CMMI or the capability maturity model.
Tier 1 companies are those which have capability to conceptualize, design, develop, build, test, deploy and provide maintenance support for .Net applications.
Tier 2 companies provides some capability where they might offer services in development and testing but may not offer deployment or maintenance services.
Tier 3 companies offer services which are bare minimum and can restrict themselves to conceptualizing, designing and development aspect of application development in .Net
What are the things to consider while choosing a .Net development company?
.Net is still the leader of web development across the world. While large no. of new technologies are emerging for web development and other application development purpose .Net is still the recommended tool for development of Microsoft related applications.
While developing applications can get more complex it makes sense to outsource your project to a software development company. However, there are certain things that you should consider while choosing a .Net development company.
- Company Portfolio – The first thing to consider is company’s portfolios. Successful businesses never hesitate to share their previous work. Go to the company’s website and look for their projects portfolio. Look at their customers testimonials. You can start a plan to hire them by looking at who their previous customers are and what projects they have completed for those customers. It will help you in selecting the best company for your requirement.
- Management and Communication – The communication process of a company is an important aspect for the success of your project. It should be seamless with the customer throughout the application development process.
You should ask the company how they will be communicating with you during the lifecycle of your project. You must ensure that, the company needs to understand your ideas perfectly to develop the application which you want.
- Timely Delivery & Cost of development – An important aspect is completion of project on time and that too within your budget. Your selected company should have a proven track record of delivering projects on time and they must have backup developers who can take over your project if some lefts the company.
- Scalability -Another important aspect is to consider Scalability. Whether the company can provide robust, aesthetic, and scalable solutions to meet the needs of your growing business needs or not!
- Legal Agreement – How can we forget to add this point! You should have a project contract with the development company. This includes legal formalities, standard provisions or clauses which will legally ensure that your project is completed on time and you get your project as per your expectations.
A contract can bind the company to complete the project as specified in the contract. As their reputation is at stake, they are obliged to provide the best solution.
While there are a lot of programming languages out there for all the possible use cases the major problem with the majority of these languages is that they are good at only one use-case.
Programming languages like ruby, python, scala, nodejs, and others have specific use cases. The main advantage of using .Net is that it can be used for a wide variety of use cases.
It becomes very hard for a developer to learn different languages to solve a broad set of problems. The main advantage with .Net is that it can be used to develop a wide variety of applications.
With .Net now a cross-platform and open-source framework there is no limit to what you can do with it. With continuous improvements to its features and its ability to create complex applications much faster than any other framework, it has become the prime choice among enterprises for their application development.
Now that you know all the advantages of using .Net you might need a software company to develop your application. It is advisable to keep all the points mentioned above in mind while considering hiring a .Net development company so that you end up with the best company which not only provides the best rates but also provides quality services in time.